Saturday, August 2, 2008

ask.seek.knock

The last few days, I've been thinking about some of Jesus' words. He said, "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." These words are recorded in both the book of Matthew and that of Luke. The context is prayer; Jesus emphasizes bold prayer and trust that God will give good gifts. It's a good lesson.

What I've been thinking about, however, is what would happen if one turned it over. The Christian community often talks about a relationship with Jesus, a personal one even. Seeing as good relationships are reciprocal, mutually giving, mutually vulnerable, one can then find a question implicit inside of Jesus' teaching here. It's as if underneath his profound promises concerning prayer, Jesus is also saying, "If I ask anything of you, will you give it to me? If I seek, will you let me find you? If I knock, will you open your door?" In so asking, Jesus asks for everything, seeks for all of you, and waits at the door for you to open it to everything you are and everything you have and everything you do.

He promises everything. Will we do the same?



"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me."

No comments: